Bad Theology

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Second Commandment Preached at Biff

One day, preacher man talked about the second commandment.

I guess I said amendment when I wrote about the first one. Wrong word, that.

Preacher man told us these are God's orders to humans.

He says we're not supposed to make a graven image of anything. I tried to figure out what that means. I thought from the way he talked, it meant like a picture; but there's a big picture of Jesus in the church, so that can't be right.

Maybe it means like a picture or carving of a bird or fish or something, but that can't be right either. There's a big fish on the sign outside of church.

I wondered if my mechanical Santa would be an idol. Probably so. Good thing I don't take this churchy stuff seriously.

But preacher man made it pretty clear that it was really bad, because not only would the sinner who did this (whatever it was) get punished, so would his kids, grandkids and great-grandkids. That doesn't seem fair to me, to get punished when you can't even figure out what it is you're not supposed to do. And its definitely not fair to the kids, who had no say over it; but this God and Jesus baloney doesn't have to make sense.

I just pretend to believe, like Daddy said.

1 Comments:

  • Please write more. I would love to hear more about Biff's spritual journey.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home