Bad Theology

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Daddy Buys a Church

One day, Daddy bought a church.

Some men with big brown briefcases came to the house. Two of them wore nice suits and smoked stinky cigars. Daddy and the men sat in the parlor and talked for almost a whole hour. One of the men wore a black robe and funny white collar.

"Why are those men here?" I asked Nanny Alice. I think it was Alice. Lots of nannies came to see me as I grew up. It might have been Rachel.

"Your father is paying the debts of the old church. You know, the one down by the town square."
"Oh," I said.

"What a good man," said Nanny Alice, "And to think people say that --- your Daddy is doing a good deed." She nodded her head slowly. "God will certainly give him his reward."

Later, the church bought Daddy some cars, a beach house, and a boat. I guess God does reward good deeds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home