Bad Theology

Monday, April 24, 2006

Santa Remembers My Train

One day, I got my train. This was before Crystal came to live with Daddy.

A few days before Christmas, Nanny Alice and George took me on a trip. We went to some beach where there were no other people. I didn't like it much. The water was cold, you couldn't see the bottom, and I was afraid of jellyfish.

But I liked walking along the beach. Nanny Alice and I went for long walks most every day. We talked about stuff. She was a big believer in Jesus, the Virgin Mary, Joseph, St. Francis, St. Elmo, Archangel Michael, Satan and other gods. She believed in one chief God who ruled over all the rest, but I couldn't figure out if that was Jesus or Jesus' Daddy. I guess it was the Daddy God.

She prayed a lot, usually to Virgin Mary, but also to the others, except for Satan.

I didn't like to say much. I liked to just listen. Her voice sounded nice, though sometimes hearing her would make me a little sad. I don't know why.

The night before Christmas, we drove home. It was dark when we got back. I went straight up to my bedroom on the second floor and turned in.

The next day, Christmas, I came downstairs and found a huge box beside the tree, too big to sit underneath it. I ripped open the wrapping, and there was the locomotive for my train! Thank you Santa! Thank you thank you!

Later that day, George, Daddy's driver and some men I didn't know carried the locomotive out to the lawn. Santa had put tracks down, so I could ride to the stables, the garage, the gardner's shed and everywhere on my new train. George showed me how to start the engine, where the gas was and the brakes. Although it was very cold, I rode around on my train for quite a little while.

Santa really came through for me. My doubts about him were all wrong; I should have known I could count on him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home